The Shands at the University of Florida Level I Trauma Center will provide complete medical attention to its patients by providing clinical monitoring, multidisciplinary conferences and committees that ensure top quality care.
Clinical Walk Rounds
Every morning, the Shands at the University of Florida’s Level l Trauma Surgery Service team – University of Florida physicians and other health care personnel – meets to review trauma service patient admissions during clinical walk rounds.
Purpose of clinical walk rounds:
- Identify patients for inclusion in the Trauma Registry
- Synthesize pertinent findings and plans
- Coordinate the plan of care
- Identify referrals
- Identify performance improvement issues for rapid intervention
Trauma Sit Down Rounds
Every Monday and Friday, the multidisciplinary patient care rounds are held by the Trauma Surgery Service.
Purpose of patient care rounds:
- Discuss patient care and discharge planning
- Coordinate clinical management plan
- Identify quality issues
The MTC is held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. Trauma cases are presented by the Trauma Attending, and University of Florida residents from the Trauma Surgery Service Team, Pediatric Surgery and/or Burn Service as designated by the trauma medical director.
The purpose of MTC is to:
- Provide a multidisciplinary forum for the presentation and discussion of interesting or clinically relevant patient presentations
- Identify patient problems and/or service issues for referral to quality improvement process
- Develop clinical reasoning and presentation skills
Trauma Quality Management Committee
On the third Monday of each month, the Trauma Medical Director or the designee assigns people to the Trauma Quality Management Committee to discuss quality improvement initiatives, review and approve trauma program guidelines and policies, and recommend actions that need to be taken to resolve system or performance issues.
The core attendees include:
- Trauma Medical Director
- Trauma Program Manager
- Administration Representative
- EM Physician
- Surgery Faculty
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physician
- Nurse Managers