UF Health Transfer Center
The UF Health Transfer Center is a service designed to provide an easier and more efficient way for referring physicians to transfer their patients to UF Health Shands Hospital.
Transfer Center personnel can be reached at 800-XTRANSFER or 352-265-0559.
By coordinating a hospital-to-hospital transfer through this service, physicians are able to gain “real time” knowledge of bed availability at UF Health Shands Hospital.
The Transfer Center is designed to:
- Provide an easier and more efficient mechanism for processing transfers into UF Health Shands Hospital from other healthcare providers
- Provide a toll-free, one-call service, 24 hours a day, seven days a week for referring physicians
- Establish a designated point of contact for referring physicians
- Offer the initial follow-up communication with referring physicians regarding the transferred patient’s arrival
- Continuously coordinate with Bed Control and maintain a “real time” knowledge of bed availability
- Provide the supporting data necessary for the UF Health physician to help make the definitive decision of determining if UF Health Shands Hospital is the most appropriate facility for care
- Assist UF Health Shands Hospital and College of Medicine faculty with maintaining compliance with state and federal access to healthcare laws
Transfer Center Resources
The Transfer Center assists in coordinating medical transportation. Transfer Center coordinators are able to recommend the use of ShandsCair, our critical care transport system of UF Health Shands Hospital at the University of Florida.
Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act
Even an allegation violating the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) can cost hospitals and outpatient center hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. Staying in compliance is an extremely difficult task.
Learn more by reading EMTALA Statute: 42 USC 1395 dd or visiting http://www.aaem.org.
Inter-Hospital Transfer Agreement: Should be signed by a representative of your hospital and the referring physician and faxed to the Transfer Center at (352) 265-0269 before the patient is transferred to UF Health Shands Hospital. Download this form
UF Health Shands Hospital provides free, one-call transfer access 24 hours a day, seven days a week so physicians can easily arrange for inpatient referrals. Transfer Center personnel can be reached at 800-XTRANSFER or 352-265-0559.
To consult a UF or community physician affiliated with UF Health Shands Hospital or to refer a patient to one of our outpatient facilities, please call the Shands Consultation Center physician referral line at 800-633-2122 or 352-265-7999.