The UF Health Level I Trauma Center provides care for patients with traumatic critical injuries. The care provided is rendered by a multidisciplinary team that includes pre-hospital personnel, University of Florida trauma surgeons, consult physicians, nurses and ancillary staff.
For trauma patients, getting proper care within the first hour of injury greatly increases the chance of survival. With the addition of a Level I Trauma Center, professionals at UF Health are able to provide trauma care not only for patients in the Gainesville area, but for areas as far as Tallahassee, Jacksonville and Orlando.
Trauma Center Objectives
- Provide initial resuscitative care required for critically injured patients
- Provide easy accessibility to radiology, blood banks, and laboratory services and operating rooms
- Provide necessary intensive care – both diagnostic and therapeutic – for all trauma patients admitted to Shands at the University of Florida
- Provide outreach activities on trauma prevention, including public education and continuing education for staff, physicians, nurses, allied health personnel and community physicians
- Provide all necessary team coordination in cases of complex, multisystem trauma
- Provide clinical experience and teaching for residents, nurses, physician extenders, emergency medical technicians and other allied health care professionals
- Perform trauma research designed to produce new knowledge applicable to the care of injured patients
TraumaOne – UF Health Jacksonville
TraumaOne’s highly qualified staff consists of University of Florida trauma surgeons, UF Health Jacksonville nurses and others with extensive training in caring for trauma patients.